- The following is an archived discussion of the DYK nomination of the article below. Please do not modify this page. Subsequent comments should be made on the appropriate discussion page (such as this nomination's talk page, the article's talk page or Wikipedia talk:Did you know), unless there is consensus to re-open the discussion at this page. No further edits should be made to this page.
The result was: promoted by Cwmhiraeth (talk) 05:28, 26 May 2016 (UTC)
Mary Field Garner
Created by Amgisseman(BYU) (talk). Self-nominated at 22:24, 11 May 2016 (UTC).
- well written, new enough and long enough with no obvious copyvios. Hook checks out and QPQ done. GTG Jack1956 (talk) 14:42, 12 May 2016 (UTC)
This has been pulled from Prep 4 because of problems with this hook. Once this is fixed, can a different person please review this nomination?
- 1) You don't "witness" another human being, but you can witness them doing something.
- 2) The article actually says "She was also the last living witness of Joseph Smith's funeral" but the online source does does not say anything like that. The source actually says that they saw "the mantel of Joseph fell upon Brigham Young while he was talking with people", and then "Brother Brigham looked and talked so much like Joseph that for a minute we thought it was Joseph."
- 3) Citation 5 and citation 6 have the same online link. It's citation 5 that has the wrong link, and it's citation 5 that is supposedly the source for her being a witness to Smith's funeral.
Please fix the sourcing issue, and write another hook that says the same thing as verified prose in the article. — Maile (talk) 22:22, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
... that Mary Field Garner was the last living witness to have known Joseph Smith personally and the oldest Utah resident when she died at age 107?
- Thanks. I reworded the phrasing in the article and in the hook. I corrected the URL for the "500 facts" page. Amgisseman(BYU) (talk) 22:41, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
- Thank you for being so quick. You did exactly what you said. The problem now is that the article/hook are too close paraphrasing. The source says: "the last living witness to have personally known the prophet Joseph Smith." Take your time about, if you feel you need to. We just want it correct on the main page. And before this goes back to prep, we really need a new reviewer for the nomination and the article once again. Just to make sure we get it all correct. — Maile (talk) 22:53, 18 May 2016 (UTC)
- ALT2: ... that Mary Field Garner was the last living acquaintance of Joseph Smith and the oldest Utah resident when she died at age 107? Amgisseman(BYU) (talk) 19:03, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- I reworded the hook and the article to avoid close paraphrasing. Thanks! Amgisseman(BYU) (talk) 19:04, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- OK, let's put this little turn-around tick here at the bottom to make sure everyone knows it needs to be reviewed again, so it can go back into a prep area afterwards. — Maile (talk) 23:12, 19 May 2016 (UTC)
- ALT2 is good to go. It is interesting, cited, and neutral. The article is also new enough and long enough, neutral, and has inline citations. No copyright issues detected (AGF on offline sources). Random86 (talk) 00:32, 26 May 2016 (UTC)